msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] TROTSAR on the news

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] TROTSAR on the news
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 17:34:21 -0500

There are various designations for types of SAR-- Urban or USAR deals mostly with building collapse, G is for ground where you walk, T is for technical with gadgets, ropes, and mountains, C is for combat, and there are specialties in swift water, brown water, underwater, etc.

The importance to the entire community is that you are willing to volunteer

your time, your personal equipment, and your skills as a member of the local or regional SAR organization.  Certification by a third party is not the only requirement.  Once you have trained you must be willing to respond to pay the community back for your training.  Whatever standards your local SAR trains to or certifies to, and they are varied, is what you will learn. Certification means you passed the test on the day it was given, not that

you are good at the job.

The question should be, "How do I volunteer or improve SAR in my locality?", "not how do I get certified?"

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR

www.sepasar.net