msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] search models/ subject behavior

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Hasse" <jhasse@comcast.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] search models/ subject behavior
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 16:46:22 -0600

To answer your question, yes, the International Search and Rescue Incident Database combines over 40 separate databases (including Syrotuck's research) into a single large database of over 50,000 SAR incidents.  Syrotuck's original research included eight subject categories.  This database includes 41.  While a few of the categories still suffer the insufficient n validity problem, most have enough cases to be quite predictive.  For example, Syrotuck reported on 44 cases of missing hikers.  The ISRID contains 3,837 missing hikers.  The database has been summarized into a book called Lost Person Behavior by Robert J. Koester and I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in Search Management.  It can be purchased at:  http://www.dbs-sar.com/LPB/lpb.htm.

Incidentally, the reason the "donut hole" model was dropped from recent texts is that it has been widely debunked.  It arose from Syrotuck's early work and method of reporting statistics.  Meta-analysis of large incident databases failed to show the bell-shaped curve that was predicted by Syrotuck's small study.  Unfortunately, since he was one of the first researchers in the field, the idea stuck around for a long time.  (It is how I was originally taught too.)  Chapter 6 of Koester's book explains this much more clearly than I could.

We have the same issue in MN that you describe in PA.  The local Sheriff (or city PD) is in charge of searches by statute and we are often called in after several days have passed.  Even when we are given free-reign over running the search, LE retains jurisdictional authority over the incident.  This is why I no longer use the term Incident Commander for our leadership and instead use the term Search Manager.  No matter how much authority the SM is given, he/she still reports to law enforcement.  Sometimes it is quite a delicate dance to convince them to accept our recommendations, but the situation is what it is.

I also agree with your recommendation regarding weighing the risks vs. benefits of an operation.  I believe that is true for both live rescues and recovery operations, but with a much higher standard of safety for recovery operations.  The other part of that equation is using highly qualified resources to mitigate risk.  What is too risky for one group may be a perfectly reasonable risk for another with a higher level of training and equipment.

Regards,

Jeff