msar-riders - [MSAR] Bad weather? Stay indoors and build community

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Bad weather? Stay indoors and build community
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:35:00 -0700

The issues with my mare are related to her past use. She is plainly TB
bred for racing, but her conformation (upright pasterns) is not ideal
for speed work, and she has been used hard and not well rehabbed. I got
her from an intercollegiate polo team. They were told she was X years
old and they had her some years, so that at the time I got her she was
supposed to be 20. By her teeth, she is at most 15.

She has several fused joints in both front ankles, and is heading toward
fusion of the hocks. She has chronic bursitis in the biceps muscle of
her left shoulder. This muscle is a key part of the suspensory system
of her front end, so her entire front end has relatively limited range
of motion and she is tender. She needs bute to feel comfortable being
trimmed.

Despite all that, she is a remarkably nice ride. Forward, willing, alert,
well mannered, calm, smooth. She has some issues related to her limited
prior use, such as not being comfortable when I take her away from other
horses. A polo pony is used to being never alone. My SAR horse Whitney,
another retired polo pony, was the same when I started with her.

Una