msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Working Dogs from Horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Operations Manager" <rkymtnsly@3rivers.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Working Dogs from Horseback
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:25:07 -0600

I have used my dog on occasion, while I was on horse back. I think the
principle is sound, but, as of this time not perfected the technique. I am
getting a little soft in my old age and have found when the dog is fresh, I
can cover a lot more ground and have a good perspective from the back of the
horse. I have also noticed, my horse gets his cues from the dog on the
shorter practices when I have used them together. Our area is very
mountainous, and I have intentionally placed participants in heavily brushy
areas. Hope this helps, Chris, Ruby Valley Search & Rescue.