msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:17:20 -0700

Irvin Lichtenstein wrote:
>I thought this was a survival school weekend-- take nothing at all, eat
>bugs, snakes; rub sticks together, etc.

That's what survival school means to me but from Lila's pack list
I think one trip goal is more to establish that yes, your 24 hour
pack really does have all you need for a comfortable 24 hours.

Depending on climate, one can be comfortable with less than Lila
has in her pack. In much of New Mexico in summer many people skip
the sleeping bag. When I worked in the tropics I spent many nights
out in the woods and didn't consider anything necessary except
water and boots. Water in case it didn't rain, and boots because
in those particular tropics certain very deadly snakes are active
at night. Usually I also took some food and an umbrella.

Una