msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Mexico man found, dog missing

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Mexico man found, dog missing
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 17:10:18 -0700

They are still looking for the dog. A follow-up story about the search
mentions the man had managed to break into a cabin and tried to light a
fire in the wood stove but couldn't find matches. They were in a can
by the stove. He must have been really out of it due to those days of
hypothermia, dehydration, and starvation. He was found outside the
cabin, lying under a tree in an arroyo (a sandy wash). The sand was
wet from a couple of days of melt after a snowstorm earlier in the week,
and he was wet from lying there. The weather in the region has been
very cold; single digits in full sun where I am. Burr. It is just
amazing that the man survived. We can only hope Zulu dog does too.

The followup-story: http://www.scsun-news.com/ci_13936159