msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 79, Issue 2

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 79, Issue 2
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:19:00 -0400

Success with reflective tape varies with the tape (adhesive) and the material.  Pressure sensitive tapes work well on non-porus surfaces, like sheet metal on trailers, and somewhat on very tight knit fabrics or non-woven materials.  They may not stick to canvas or similar rough wear and rough surface clothes.  You can often machine stitch tapes to cloth or if the cloth will take it there are heat sensitive adhesives where you paint the glue on, and then iron the tape in place.  If the blanket is quilted you will have additional problems.

It is often remarkable what works and what doesn’t.  Large square (4”-6”)  EMT “stars of life” have held on for several years while trailer tapes on the same material (Cordura) fall off right away.   The reflective material on clothes is usually sewn or heat bonded.

Lastly, always check the chemistry on glow sticks, etc.  While people don’t normally chew or them a horse might.

Irv Lichtenstein