msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Dogs, Horses....rats in SAR :)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Dana Mc <k9preydrive@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Dogs, Horses....rats in SAR :)
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

Never said it DIDN'T exist. :) Of course they do. But without the right coordiantion and understanding they don't go together as I mentioned.

It's  like sayin sugar, vanilla, chocolate, flour, water, salt exist...doesn't mean they are put together all the time and in the right mixture to make Mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies!

And being that I trained in CA with what was considered a backwoods county there, and then moved to Southern IL where SAR understanding is TRULY 20 years behind, I can tell you that many of you and your discussions, will never see light in this part of the world...not for at least 10 or 20 years. Local ESDAs still send out fire, spontanteous vols, cops, local boys with dogs... and the coordination is left to the wind.

Things get done. Don't get me wrong. But they are not what you see in more prepared and ready SAR environments. It is changing. But very slowly.

The scenario I proposed sounds like a dream comparitively and our team here strives to work towards that goal of cooperation. But it takes more than one team to do it. And this state's head EMA (IEMA) is not focusing on SAR at all. In fact they cut it out of their organization in 2001. Left it to individual counties to care for. And the decline began.

I love listening in on groups such as this. I glean pearls of wisdom all the time. And I appreciate all of your enthusiasm that you have for what you do. I just try to take away a few things now and then that will help 1) our team and 2) SAR in this region. Just wish our state would take as much interest.

Good luck to you all, and if you lived in such a blessed area such as Irv, or those of you in CA and other similar places, count your stars! :) Or move here and help us out! lol

Dana

Message: 2