msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Dogs, Horses....rats in SAR :)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Dogs, Horses....rats in SAR :)
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 08:51:42 -0400

In Pennsylvania anyway, if not the rest of the world:

Let’s see—flankers were introduced to the air scent dog world about 1982 or 3, formal use of air scent horses 1986, we had a VHF license and permission to talk to other agencies from 1980 or so (and the state SAR council had a statewide multi-channel license by 1987) and one member did have a TV equipped model helicopter by 1989. So, much of the world you want has been around for a while, and coordinated responses as well.  (By the way it has been illegal for an organization to have a GMRS license for at least 10 years, individuals only). The problem is that people don’t study history, they relive it.

What we didn’t have 10 years ago was portable GPS and laptops, but then we didn’t need as many types of spare batteries either.

Irv Lichtenstein