msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Newbie to the List

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Newbie to the List
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:01:40 -0700

Halla, use whatever you need. The list and web archive are run on a
server in the United States, so US copyright laws applies. Posters
here retain copyrights in their own contributions. US law permits
fair use, and using stuff from the list as training handouts is fair
use, provided any fee you charge for the handouts is truly nominal.
Many a subscriber on this list is the only member of their unit who
is subscribed; they forward "good stuff" to their teammates or adapt
it to meet their unit's needs.

Many MSAR units have entrance requirements, training requirements, and
continuing eligibility requirements. Since you are connected with an
established ground SAR unit, you probably should start from that unit's
requirements. Many (but not all) MSAR units find it necessary to not
permit stallions and horses under age 4 or age 6. Some units find it
necessary to hold equitation qualifying exams in an arena; others can
get by without this. I think it depends whether you already know the
people who seek to join.

>They are generally raised in large heards in open spaced fences or
>even up in heaths and have to use their senses a lot, mainly for food,
>communitation and weather forecast.

Yes, that is the kind of horse that does really well in SAR. In the
western US they are called "ranch" and "range" horses, respectively.

>From experience I know horses can get really exited chasing sheep
>or calves and even allert you if you are missing some. Maybe they
>could be considered as gamey horses.

Yes. They understand the search job, and they like doing it. You
can cross train for SAR by adding a verbal cue to search behavior.
Say you expect to find sheep in a thicket. Direct the horse there
and say "find sheep" (or whatever) then praise the horse extremely
at the first instant both you and your horse see one. The horse's
job is not just to find the sheep, but to show *you* the sheep.