msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Newbie to the List

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Trailriding-Texas - OA" <trlrider2@trailriding-texas.us>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Newbie to the List
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:12:57 -0600

Okay, more questions. Are there outfitters in the Bandera TX area
who could supply horses and tack, on a private basis, to volunteers
coming in from far away, at the volunteers' own expense?

To my general knowledge, no! Most of the outfitters/dude strings in this area do guided rides only.
Although, there are a couple of new outfits that may! You can check with the Bandera Convention
and Visitors Bureau at http://www.banderacowboycapital.com/ for a listing! I have a new horse in
training, and may have a spare, but no guarantees at this point!

How much climb does the Bandera 100k have? And what is the base elevation?

Our highest point is 1950 ft with a base elevation of just under 1400 ft! So overall altitude
is not an issue! Just these trails are rocky and steep. So, in a couple of place, a 1500ft climb
in less than 3/4 of a mile is possible. Acclimation of altitude is not an issue,
but temperature extremes could be! The horses we have that come up from Corpus Christi and
Houston area (almost see level) have not had any problems. These are moderately conditioned horses.
One year the run started out at 86 degrees, and in two
and a half hours, it was 31 dgrees and raining! The temp shift actually occurred in less than
45 minutes!
Refer to this profile, for reference: http://www.tejastrails.com/maps/Bandera2007_100KProfile.gif

General comments, not directed at anyone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarathon categorizes ultramarathon
races into "Road and dirt paths", "Mountain and trails", and "Extreme
conditions". The Jemez Mountain course (my "backyard") is gentle
in comparison to the Hardrock course in Colorado, but they pale in
comparison to the Extreme conditions courses.

Joe Prusaitis is the event director and a Hardrock veteran! The Bandera 100k - a mountain and trail type,
ranks right up with Hardrock!