msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Newbie to the List

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Trailriding-Texas - OA" <trlrider2@trailriding-texas.us>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Newbie to the List
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:50:04 -0600

Thanks Una,

K1STX, General Class, hopefully upgrading to Extra after the first of the
year!

Yes, this event is Bandera! Guess I left out the fact the Bandera 100k
is one of the most sought after of the Ultra-marathons! And I believe they
still hold an Endurance ride there each November, around Thanksgiving!

With the exception of myself, the Horse Patrol for this event uses a commercial
band UHF repeater and coordinated HT's to stay in touch with the each other,
the Aid stations and race control. I carry both, and sometimes think I look more
like a porcupine than a rider! Each Aid station and Race Control will have a full
time Amateur during the event, and any information is then relayed to the Horse
Patrol as needed!

While the task is serious, most of us get a large amount of enjoyment out of
it, and get lots of saddle time! When conditions permit, I usually ride my zones
late in the evening and early morning! The participants have always welcomed the
site of the horses on the trail during the toughest times of the event!

Looking forward to learning from this group, and hope to meet some of you in the
future!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>