msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sound Sweeps

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kinch" <kinch@shaw.ca>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sound Sweeps
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:13:56 -0700

As stated in my original email, the radio signal that the unit sends out is a "beep" or if you prefer the terminology, a tone. The interval time is setup by the Search Manager and is dependant on the terrain. The more dense the terrain, the quicker the interval. As we use this sytem in conjunction with a Type 1 or Hasty Search, the majority of the teams are actively searching and do not require to be awakened or to do 15 minute check-ins. If a team is in a stationary blocking or observation position, then "sit reps" are generally transmitted to the CP every hour.

The volume of the tones that our portable radios are capable of sounding are nowhere near as loud as a FOX 40 whistle, or for that matter, any land or marine rescue whistle.

When used in the right circumstances, the sound sweep is a useful search and rescue tool that has assisted us in locating lost subjects who are concious and able to respond.

Joe Kinch

----- Original Message ----- From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>