msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sound Sweeps

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kinch" <kinch@shaw.ca>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sound Sweeps
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:09:17 -0700

If our group is conducting a sound sweep, it is done in conjunction with the normal search methods used in a Type 1 or Initial Search, such as calling the subject's name. We normally call the subject's name in between the timings to blow our whistles. In my opinion, the best part of a sound sweep is that all participants in the search stop at the same time, blow their whistle at the same time and then quietly listen for a response at the same time. This cuts down on false alarms (especially at night) as one team does not respond to another when each thinks they have a verbal response from the missing subject. This has happened a few times during night searches as the bush in our area can be extremely thick and teams are generally spread thin during the inital response / search.

I believe the sound sweep timer we use was built by one of the members for under $25.00. Yes, all our members carry several time keeping devices, but the sound sweep concept is for all participants to stop, blow their whistles and listen for a response at the same time. It would be difficult to control without using one timing device for the complete group. My experience is that when done at different times, by individual teams, false alarms happen much more frequently.

Joe Kinch

----- Original Message ----- From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>