msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] cougar sightings

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Philip & Bonnie Easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] cougar sightings
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:04:51 -0700

Hi,
In Northern California, the cougar sightings are on the uprise.  Though I have had one horse and numerous sheep and goats killed by them, When mounted, we have never had one do any more than watch us pass.  You should stay calm, make yourself as big as possible, stay in a close group, and move away at an angle.  Do not run away from them, that can trigger the pursuit instinct in them.  Do not move straight at them either.
Philip Easley
Nevada County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Inc.