msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] cougar sightings

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] cougar sightings
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:51:54 -0500 (CDT)

Be BIG, Be MEAN, Be LOUD. In general a cougar (mtn lion) would rather find
prey that isn't going to fight back too much. However some cats that find
their way to civilization do not react normally as they've short circuited
their natural instincts by even coming close to people. In that case a gun or
bear spray is your best bet. The old adage around here is if you see a cougar
they've already been following you for awhile. Don't know if it's true in
other areas but it sure is here!
Be safe.
Chris