msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR in USA western Pennsylvania

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR in USA western Pennsylvania
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:20:24 -0600

Felicia Browell wrote:
>I've been lurking on the list for a couple of weeks -- we are hoping to
>start an MSAR unit in western Pennsylvania. Hey, there might already be
>one! Haven't found that out yet. And I need to know if there are written
>protocols we can study or certifications we need to achieve...

Hi Felicia,

There are some MSAR groups in your state. Also, depending how far west
you are, look also at adjacent states in our MSAR units web directory.
Start here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/#Pennsylvania

(If you find others, please send links or other contact information to
msar@ibiblio.org; if you want to identify yourself on MSAR-Riders as
forming a team, I will be happy to use your post here as an anchor for
an entry in the directory, to help you with your recruiting efforts.)

GPSAR used to have MSAR resources; those went inactive but last I heard
they were talking about adding MSAR resources again. Meanwhile, SEPASAR
has developed in the Philly area. That's eastern PA, I know, but both
of those groups have the advantage of knowing all about PA regulations,
policies, and other issues that will be relevant to you.

In your state, and on MSAR-Riders, you have a terriffic resource: Irv
Lichtenstein, founder of SEPASAR. Be sure to connect also with the
Pennsylvania Search and Rescue Council.

Happy team building,