msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Was Steve Facett ever found?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Felicia Browell" <felicia.browell@gmail.com>
  • To: jchuston@earthlink.net, msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org, spanishequines@yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Was Steve Facett ever found?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:29:47 -0400

I've been lurking on the list for a couple of weeks -- we are hoping to start an MSAR unit in western Pennsylvania.  Hey, there might already be one!  Haven't found that out yet.  And I need to know if there are written protocols we can study or certifications we need to achieve...

But I saw this thread and I thought it might help to clarify before any further rumors spread.  Neither the wreckage of Steve Fossett's plane nor his body has been recovered.  Please read this press release:  http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=4486.  Also, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2466003/Adventurer-Steve-Fossetts-widow-dismisses-faked-death-claims.html

If you've ever been interviewed by journalists, you know how easy it is to have your words used out of context.  And our entertainment media has certainly primed us to consider the possiblitiy of faking one's death!  Yep, what a great story that would be; great movie too -- if it was true.  Okay, as a writer, it is a great story even when it isn't true.

Just last week, I had the chance to talk with a few people actually involved in the search.  The terrain out there is so rough that they searched the same areas repeatedly at different times of the day so there would be light at different angles and that light would have a better chance to penetrate deeper into the ravines.  I'm used to the rolling hills of southwestern Pennsylvania, tree covered, yes, but still negotiable by horseback or foot, and certainly 98% of their depths visible from the air.  Imagine searching those areas!

Felicia Browell