msar-riders - [MSAR] Mounted SAR Tracking classes

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "MSAR-L" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mounted SAR Tracking classes
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 06:52:31 -0800

Howdy all -
Thought you'd like to know that I will be joining Fernando Moreira
http://searchandrescuetrackers.com  teaching a Mounted SAR ManTracking Aware 4 hour class at the NASAR conference in Colorado Springs, CO, in May.

For more information on the NASAR conference:
The tracking class is scheduled for Friday afternoon, May 30.

This is 4 hours of classroom only - sorry, no horses at that conference site - and limited to the Aware level.  A written test must be passed to graduate Aware level. Non-riders are welcome - the Aware certification is for SAR tracking and/or Mounted SAR tracking.

When Mounted Tracking was first taught to MSAR at SAR City in Barstow, CA, last October, we had riders hitting the field the next day after the Aware training - some riders with no prior tracking training or experience - out in the dry, windy desert environment at *noon* tracking successfully from the saddle.

The full class will be repeated at SAR City in Barstow, CA, October 10-12, 2008.
http://sarcity.org/  (Aware on Friday night, field all day Saturday and Sunday until noon.) Demonstration of suitable skills in the field are required for certification in addition to passing the written test for Aware level.

Graduates of the class will receive a Nevada P.O.S.T. certificate for Mounted SAR ManTracker (SAR City complete class), or the Aware-level certificate for the class at the NASAR conference. Many states recognize P.O.S.T. law enforcement authorized training from other states, which is advantageous.

There has been substantial enthusiasm for this NV P.O.S.T. certificate MSAR class since it emerged last October and word spread, particularly with Fernando as the lead instructor. He is well known in the western USA as a tracker, instructor, and expert witness, and is often requested to respond as a tracker in other states both for SAR and crime scenes. And yes, he has a horse, tracks from that horse, and in many environments prefers mounted tracking.

I'm honored that Fernando has asked me to collaborate with him to provide this MSAR training. We are already booked to teach Mounted SAR Tracking 7 times in North America in 2008 at conferences or team / regional weekend clinics. I'm delighted to see growing interest in adding such a valuable and historic skill to the MSAR toolkit!

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR
www.ceoates.com/msar

  • [MSAR] Mounted SAR Tracking classes, Jorene Downs, 02/27/2008