msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Maps and coordinates

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Philip & Bonnie Easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Maps and coordinates
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:55:13 -0800

All agreed on most of that. I tend to differ on the datum though. We were searching for a body in one of our reservoirs. The family hired a private side scan sonar operator to assist with the search. The private operator gave us several coordinates to dive and investigate when we found they were about a half mile on shore. That operator was not around to explain his findings for he had pulled off the water and left for home by then. That for some reason made us look real bad in front of the family who were making comments that we could not find our way to the restroom. The problem was that we were using local maps that use NAD 27, so all of our GPS map datums were set up for NAD 27. The private operator used WGS 84 which is popular Nautical Navigation Charts. Half mile makes a lot of difference.
Philip Easley
NCSSAR
----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>