msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Maps and coordinates

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Maps and coordinates
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:09:22 -0700

Hi Joe Kinch, welcome and I'm glad you delurked here on MSAR-Riders.
If you don't need to unfold the map then you are using a map that has
been pre-marked with the UTM kilometer scale grid *and* labels too.
Do you buy them that way, or mark them yourselves during down times?

All, I am a fan of cheat sheets. Re maps, a good cheat sheet should
remind you ask:
* what map(s)?
* what declination?
* what coordinate system?
* what datum?

Datum gets overlooked a *lot*, and often it does not matter much but
when it does matter then the difference can be extremely important.