msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] most durable/portable AED?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] most durable/portable AED?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:37:47 -0800 (PST)

Our squadron did look at UAVs and we have not completely decided they are a necessity with all of the other items we could really use and have limited resources for.  A grant may be needed to obtain a few more GPS units to supplement the ones individuals own.  Newer FCC compliant radios & updated equipment took precedence.

Each state has an allocation of resources, given mostly by the Air Force such as their unneeded planes and vehicles.  The state of Kansas, for example, has planes located at the squadron locations with the most qualified pilots and Emergency Services volunteers and are geographically separated to maximize responsiveness.

I would really like to obtain a durable, highly portable AED because the age of our cadets from 12-18 and some officers past retirement age.  We are often far from EMS should we have a cardiac event and I will probably have to get a grant for this as well.  I am looking at a unit by Philips, but suggestions from fire/EMS and police MSAR persons is appreciated.  Thank you.  1st Lt. Dana Snyder, Health Services Officer, NCCS KS-123

kle@erols.com> wrote:
Una, You are correct about UAV's. For the most part they are used in
military operations when it is too dangerous to send low flying manned
aircraft. More information about the usage of unmanned aircraft can be
located at DOD related websites. I know of no self-deploying SAR
resource that utilizes UAV's

Although it is possible that an "Air Drone" could be used in civilian
(non-military) operations, it is very unlikely. Most States that do
utilize air searches, generally deploy Civil Air Patrol (CAP) Airwings.
CAP aircraft and personnel provide both eyes in the sky and provide
enhanced communications capabilities.

T'mi
Maryland