msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Another Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: una.smith@att.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Another Search
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 03:37:55 +0000

Marie Lester wrote:
> asked to stay a second day, and agreed to do so if
> there was a pasture where our horses could rest overnight.

Tell us more about this. Does your field team routinely turn the horses out
together, for practice? Or do the horses live together? Do you stake tie or
hobble them? Or simply turn them out loose? Was this your first "overnight"
mission with horses? Did you ride in the dark?

I stake tied my mare this morning on one of those light-weight screw anchors
for dogs. In some ground I suspect the screw will hold better than a picket
pin, but the screw probably is not nearly as strong as a picket pin intended
for horses.

Una