msar-riders - [MSAR] Equestrian first responders

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: rugolddust@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Equestrian first responders
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 20:56:42 -0400

Hi, my name is Emiley Ross, I'm a horse back rider and an EMT- B in New Jersey. We have a lot of farms in the area I work in, and recently we had a rider fall off at my barn. I was surprised how little the squad knew what to do for an equestrian accident. I'd like to plan some sort of Equestrian First Responder class to teach to local squads, barn managers, instructors, and anyone else that is interested.

I wasn't sure where to start with the class though, I was thinking of integrating what I knew about horses and what a couple of the squad members have dealt with on horse related calls. The wonderful world of Google brought me to your discussion about first responders to an equine emergency.

I"m interested in any information you may have and willing to share with me.

Thank you for your time,
Emiley Ross