msar-riders - [MSAR] Walking on tarps

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Walking on tarps
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:58:50 -0700

Chris, you are right on. Train for stuff overhead, not just underfoot.

Walking on tarps is a standard element of arena "trail" training. For
what it's worth, I have seen a number of bad results with this, so take
care. The worst has involved the horse catching a shoe on the tarp,
and the horse in question not being "rope broke" (we have discussed the
importance of that here before). The risk is greatest when the horse
steps onto the tarp then tries to back off, and is wearing shoes with
heels that project behind the ground surface of the hoof. In stepping
back, the horse's shoe limb punctures the tarp and the tarp is forced
between the shoe and the heel of the hoof.