msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 49, Issue 3

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 49, Issue 3
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:15:09 -0500

Hi all,
When I started Meeco with flag training I began by using a passive approach, By that I mean, instead of hands on training with flag, horse and myself I began by placing a flag at one of the gates the horses use to get to pasture. As expected each horse had different reactions to this new stimuli. After a week of the horse seeing and passing by the flag, then with the help of a handler we introduce the flag on the horse's body. After doing this for several days, then we began the mounting of flag and rider. It usually goes very smooth this way. Using this approach reduces stress on the horse and the trainer.

Chuck Daniel
KVMSAR
KD8EIL

When starting a horse for flags, I first tie a flag on the horse correctly
inserted into the flag carrier and tie it on the horse. I let the horse
stand for 30 minutes or so to see if there is a diverse reaction, Then I
start by walking the horse with flag still attached. Do this in a lot of
different wind positions. The next day I start the same way and work all the
way to mounting. I never had a [problem. Dick - Alabama