msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Ice storm

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Gordon Wiks <shalla1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Ice storm
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:13:51 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:34:17 PM

Sorry to intrude but here are a few ideas that might help...(p.s. I am now
living in Pahrump Nv. and our temps are around 8 degs. at night and we are on
a well also. However I lived up in the Yukon while also on a well),
If you want to see how deep to bury your water lines safely, dig a hole now
with a pick or whatever, just a small hole. What you are looking for is where
the frostline//ice or icecrystals are. If the temp is low enough you will
even see steam. This means that you are below the frostline and the ground
will maintain the same temp regardless of weather and keep the waterlines
from freezing,,,With snow as an insulator it may even warm up more. Your
neighbors will probably know the depth.However if the taps freeze you still
won't get water.
Another is to wrap the well head/ pump will an insulator directly (an
insulated building is less efficient.If you have the pump enclosed in a small
building (depending on the size) usually anything above a 60 watt bulb left
on (bare bulb) will keep the pump safe.This depends on size of
building,insulation,and temp. Most extreme; in the yukon a wood shed 8x8,
temps around minus 40 degs f a 100 watt bulb was used during the day with an
added 60 watt at night. Usually if you wrap the wellhead or tank and the pump
directly it will keep it fluid to the low minus temps.Fibreglass wraps or
tank blankets.
Another is to keep the important taps( or all of them) at a steady drip or
even better a trickle. This will keep them from freezing.( I put a hose on to
direct the little amount of water away from traffic and corrals and such.
This may sound like a pain but it will stop pipes from bursting (a bigger
pain). Another advantage is that if it freezes it will start closest to the
air and even in cold weather the sun may defrost the hose if warm enough.
Also I have turned the water on and keeping the hose straight forced the ice
out easily at low volume and if the tap isn't frozen.
Last believe it or not the act of freezing gives off heat so if you wrap
the taps up well or insulate them it usually will stop them freezing. Many
farmers up north and back east in the early days used tofill their root
cellers with buckets of water with enough buckets and a small area the heat
dissapating from the freezing water would raise the celler temp a degree or
two stopping the freezing, a cycle that went on all winter protecting their
veggies and preserves. (mind you the root cellers were usually a crawl space
dug into the ground under the house.)
If any of the helps check it out, if not sorry to have bothered you.
shalla1@yahoo.com