msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Rain Gear

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Rain Gear
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:24:59 -0800

I'm with Irv on this one for the most part. However it really depends on how much rain you are talking about. A seasonal wetting two or three times a year? Or a soaking daily for months on end? Whether you intend, or will need, to use your equipment occasionally or frequently will be a contributing factor in any decision.

We get summer thundershowers in the afternoons during at least one month of summer. Usually warm but quite heavy downpours. I've tried rain slickers modeled after my Aussie slicker- OK, durable, but HOT. I've tried two piece yellow rain suits- tough to move fluidly in the saddle and binding in the legs. No gear protection. For me an extra long, heavy duty poncho works best. I can: adjust it to allow air flow, cover my saddle and gear with it while riding, belt it in if it's windy, use it for temporary shelter if necessary, cover others with it if needed, and it also folds up quite small and is 'squishable' to fill weird spaces in my saddle bags. I have some very nice personal gear that involves multiple layers but it doesn't always ride with me in the summer. My poncho just stays in my gear- usually rolled around the inside of my cantle bag with the other gear stored on top/inside it.

Evaluate your terrain, environment, and needs and factor it all into your decision.

Chris Pennington

Thought I would request ideas on rain gear. Our group is in the process purchasing rain gear for all the members. Our requirements are: 1. Tough
2. Bright and reflective
3. Suitable for riding
4. And not a budget breaker

Chuck