msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Jobs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Jobs
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:07:38 -0500

Being self employed or a consultant helps if you can change client meeting
schedules easily.

When I worked for a huge corporation my manager was very understanding if I
called in sick or personnel before 8 AM or skipped lunch and left early, as
long as the time card was accurate and the admiral was not around and I
stayed off TV. I even got a nice plaque and a donation to the squad one
year.

It is all in your relationship with your boss and what your job is.
Currently we have members who are cops, nurses, college professors. They
cannot just leave work and take a mission unless their agency is involved or
there are no classes that day. To adjust for this our policy is you work a
shift when you can and get full credit for the call. Having someone fresh
to work the overnight is extremely important at times.

When negotiating with your boss you may have some leverage. In Pennsylvania
it is illegal to retaliate against an employee who responds to emergency
calls (Fire, EMS, Rescue) as a volunteer. They don't have to pay you (yet)
but they can't stop you or demote you, or not promote you, etc. There is a
bill pending that allows employers to take a tax credit for any costs of you
going to a call in PA. This does mean that discretion is the better part of
valor, particularly if you are key skill to your employer. You may also
want to check your bargaining unit contract. The fire company used to
recruit like mad at one unionized shop in town because the contract required
(yes, required) volunteer firemen to go to fire calls or be disciplined.

Or you could join the USCG.