msar-riders - [MSAR] Response to Chris Pennington

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Response to Chris Pennington
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:20:02 -0800 (PST)

Chris, I forwarded your question to a friend who is the educator for a level
one EMICT unit here called Med Act. Until he responds, I have 2 thoughts:
The cidal spray we use in hospitals could be used and I can find out if it
would kill grass and doubt it would leave a lasting toxic effect. It can
also be sprayed on equipment, shoes etc. I would also keep several pairs of
latex or non-latex gloves available for nose bleeds and try have bloody
players do as much of their own wound care as possible. They can cover it
with gauze and tape it to clean up later in the shower.

The other probably as effective, cheap and safe thing, is hydrogen
peroxide, but I will confirm this with Med Act or can ask an infectious
disease person. It can be poured directly on blood on surfaces, grass and
clothes and it denatures or breaks up the proteins. Be sure to rinse it out
of fabric ASAP as it can bleach the color a bit. I would never use it on a
wound that is deep, only superficial, dirty wounds as it can hurt the tissue.

Hope this helps for now! Dana Snyder RN

  • [MSAR] Response to Chris Pennington, ALLEN SNYDER, 11/07/2006