msar-riders - [MSAR] biohazard clean-up

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] biohazard clean-up
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:25:51 -0800

Hi all, a question was posed to me today and I have been unable to find a suitable answer. Maybe the cumulative knowledge on this site will know the answers!

What is the most effective/least destructive way to clean up biohazard spills (specifically blood) on grass playing fields and uniforms?

Obviously pouring bleach on either uniforms OR grass isn't a good choice! I've looked and searched everywhere for a good solution. The closest I've come to is using absorbent powder on the grass and then gloves and plastic scoops to dispose of the mess in a bag. That doesn't address the uniform dilemna. When you consider how many children are involved in sports where they may come in contact with potentially contaminated blood it's becomes more than an academic question!

Thanks for any suggestions,
Chris Pennington