msar-riders - [MSAR] Concern about safety on/near roads

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Concern about safety on/near roads
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:53:31 -0700 (PDT)

I just wanted to let Chuck know that his reaction to the roadside buggy
accident is perfectly understandable given what he saw and assisted with
during the incident. Your MSAR group should also support you here. I agree
that many drivers are thoughtless around horses and riders. It makes me wish
for some kind of public education program or traffic tickets for what should
be common sense and courtesy.

It is reassuring to read about what some of the other teams do for safety
such as Irv's group utilizing fire police and such to close off an area when
MSAR is working. It may take awhile to regain or bolster your confidence
around roads and vehicles. You could set small goals to allow you and your
mount to regain confidence because they have ESP! I have read that courage
is not the absence of fear, but mastery of it.

You may also ask emergency workers or family if it is OK to call them and
ask them how injured persons are doing for closure or talk to a friend.
Hospital ERs are not supposed to disclose anything except to family. Even
ER, fire, rescue and police staff talk with each other or debrief after
traumatic situations when needed.

I wish there were more thoughtful people like yourself, willing to stop and
help. Dana RN