msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Concern about safety on/near roads

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Concern about safety on/near roads
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:00:14 -0400

We will request that base camps, parking areas, manpower pools be secured so
that searchers can leave stuff there safely. Generally, if a search is in a
public park all the gates are manned with flyer distributors who inform
visitors of the search and ask those leaving the park if they saw anything.
The immediate area may be closed off if possible but often is not due to
access from various areas of the facility. For instance, it is difficult to
close off a creek while we are working the trails alongside it. So the water
teams put canoes or boats in the creek to patrol it. It would also be
difficult to close down an interstate passing through the area but similar
high intensity patrolling by police and aircraft can control the possibility
of the subject hitching a ride.

Anytime a public event is scheduled in PA there must be a safety plan
written up. We always stress using local volunteer fire, EMS, and traffic
control personnel in these plans for the obvious reasons- they know the
area, they have local manpower, we want to meet them, and they need the
donations that often accompany such services.