msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Mexico MSAR loss of a horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Mexico MSAR loss of a horse
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:37:37 -0700

Thanks for sending this on Una. My heart certainly goes out to this man and his family. It is a terrible loss and it's good for us all to be reminded that the work we do can be dangerous. This exact type of situation has been on my mind all week. A search we were on this past Monday deployed us to a very dangerous trail. We did our job and covered our territory but I really had to think about it later. At what point do we say enough? This story is a good reminder that we must seriously weigh the options involved during a search- our desire to do our job and do it well vs. the safety of all involved. Never an easy decision and sometimes one that must be made on an individual basis rather than as a team.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR