msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR - Barn Fires versus wildfires

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR - Barn Fires versus wildfires
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:43:00 -0700

Californians have learned the hard way that brush clearing laws and fire
resistant construction save houses. If you need to move 100 head in an
emergency you need 4 or more tractor trailers and a bunch of hands to work
roundup and chutes. Better to have a refuge for shelter in place than have
to truck them out and maybe back later. And look into fire sprinklers for
your barn.
Irv Lichtenstein
Hi Irv- if only it were as simple as clearing brush and debris. The fact of the matter is that with wildfires you can give yourself the best possible scenario- and still lose your home and outbuildings. We've taken every precaution available and we STILL evacuated our horses during the recent fire. Wildfires kill horses (and other animals) because of SMOKE not just flames. Flames can and do burn houses with sprinkler systems, etc. Fire is unpredictable.

No matter where you live be prepared to evacuate your animals for the type of natural disaster that might occur in your area- be it fire, hurricane, tornado, flood. All have different requirements. But let me tell you from experience- do NOT wait until the last minute and do NOT assume that because you have done all the prerequisites for keeping your home and property as safe as possible that it will remain so. There are many folks who have lost their homes when they'd done everything possible to prevent such a thing.

Like in our Search and Rescue training- BE PREPARED (for any eventuality!)

Chris Pennington