msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Return phone call from Bob of Blackfeet Buffalo, MT

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lyne Peterson <lyne@bryngyld.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Return phone call from Bob of Blackfeet Buffalo, MT
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

Having spent 20 years as a neighbor, I can offer a little background on the
conditions of a roundup. There are minimal fences on the Blackfeet
reservation. Most of the thousands of acres are "free range". Highway 2,
which runs through it, is also considered free range - livestock on the road
is expected. You hit something, you pay the owner.

It would be a blessing if the roundup was "boring". It could just as
easily be a wild run waaaay faster than you ever anticipated. I wouldn't
take a horse on that roundup that didn't have a solid stop or at least a
solid "slow down, da#mit". How would your horse be with horses tearing by
hell bent for leather and your riding partner taking off too?

The good news is you should get some amazing scenery if he is anywhere near
Glacier Park.

Lyne

  • Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Return phone call from Bob of Blackfeet Buffalo, MT, Lyne Peterson, 08/04/2006