msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Return phone call from Bob of Blackfeet Buffalo, MT

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: John Neff <neffj@msn.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Return phone call from Bob of Blackfeet Buffalo, MT
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:30:52 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate, added In-Reply-To
header. -Una]

Horses and cattle are herd animals and really want to stay together. Even
if you are riding a strange horse, and are an intermediate rider, you can
move any stock. The important position is at the head of a horse herd
and at the sides of the point on a cattle herd. Any thing else is just
keeping them gathered together and keeping the drag pushed up. Hopefully
in any situation that you would be called to help would have at least 1
experienced hand to direct. If you are going to be moving stock as an
inexperienced hand, wear a bandana to cover your nose to protect it from
the dust. It's really fun for the first hour, then gets plain old boring.
I grew up on a cattle ranch where we moved cattle 40 miles (2 days) every
year from spring to summer range and then back to winter on the home
place. I really miss those long boring dusty drives.
Faye
NEWMSAR