msar-riders - [MSAR] Return phone call from Bob of Blackfeet Buffalo, MT

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Return phone call from Bob of Blackfeet Buffalo, MT
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:25:10 -0700 (PDT)

Bob, left a message at our home today with some good news. I had asked for
an update and what airports were most near them. He was very appreciative
and said this: Over 30,000 acres have burned, but a blessing of cooler temps
down to 35 at night are a nice change from 120 during the day last week. He
is seeing some some smoke mostly east of him and the fire seems to have
stalled. He has not had to evacuate at this point, but the town is on
standby for now.

He was unavailable for a day or so because of a very difficult genetic
disease he lives with that requires regular IV chelation. Most of us would
not be able to put up with what he lives with AND run a ranch. It sounds
like people are helping each other as much as possible, but there are many
sparsely populated areas and may not have neighbors per se.

My question remains unanswered in that although I ride well, I have never
driven cattle or horses, so how could I be useful? I would probably be more
safe and helpful helping care for individuals who have been injured or
feeding/watering/mucking. I am assuming these are unbroken horses which
would be an extra challenge.

I have a retired friend who rides in Whitefish, MT a couple of hours away
who may be able to help. I would love to go if possible and am looking at
flights to see if there is a reasonable one. This gentleman would be
rewarding to assist and grateful. I will look into the protocol for
volunteers and how to work with existing groups in place.