msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] More helmet info + reflective tape

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] More helmet info + reflective tape
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:52:22 -0700 (PDT)

I have not seen anything about not using reflective tape on ASTM certified
riding helmets. I am not a climber, but what is their rationale? The more
visible, the better on horseback in the woods/terrain? In several of my tack
catalogs, they sell reflective leg and tail bands for horses along with
reflective vests. I wonder if you would need to acclimate the horses to the
reflective stuff for those that may be spooked by it at first.

Jorene Downs <Jorene@CEOates.com> wrote: From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN"
> One last step-- put reflective tape or stick ons on your helmet,
> especially
> for after dark or in reduced visibility.

I've heard from several sources to not put stickers (or paint) on climbing
helmets used in technical rescue. I'm wondering if there are similar
manufacturer warnings related to riding helmets ... ?

-Jorene