msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] More helmet info

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] More helmet info
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 23:04:24 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate. (MSAR-Riders
is threaded; if your e-mail client does not support threading,
please consider upgrading to a client that does, or try our
web archive: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/msar-riders/ )
-Una]

Irvin, this is very good information on CT capability and the mounted helmet
and plaque would make a good point to others. Now if we could only get all
the motorcyclists in Kansas to care about this because helmets are not
mandatory for them!

Since I have owned one of the new styrofoam, imploding-type helmets, I
have not had any head injuries or falls to test them. (Murphy's Law?) I DID
have a closed head injury about 10 years ago wearing the older style English
riding helmet that had a metal shell and harness, however. (If you have one
of these replace it because your head is irreplaceable). Fortunately, I
flipped off onto relatively soft ground. I was not allowed to ride for about
2 weeks because they did not want me to risk another injury so soon and
sustain long-term problems. It is very humbling to experience some of the
injuries we see regularly in the ER as a patient rather than caregiver. Dana