msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Minors as members

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Minors as members
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:52:54 -0400

One of our mounted team perquisites requires that prospective applicants be at least 21 years year before applying for membership. Although many local fire departments have Jr. fire firefighter programs, their insurance requires that Jr. members under 18 years of age can not leave the County they volunteer for. Our State requires that all SAR personnel be a self supporting resource. It is impossible for those under 18 years of age to meet this requirement if they must be supervised. The State of Maryland also limits the driving hour (time of day) for those under 18. We also require that prospective members be experienced trail riders, have ownership (or usage rights) to a horse, to a registered/insured tow vehicle and horse trailer. From a cost prospective, should we lower the age requirements for our team, it will increase the team's insurance premium and since youth membership are expected to pay less as with other organizations, the additional cost would need to be passed on the regular membership.
There is an Explorer Post SAR team within the State, Maryland Search and Rescue (MSAR), that does teach youth SAR techniques and their adult leaders do great job at teaching SAR skills. The group attends the State SAREX and many local mock exercises, but primarily are tasked with logistic related duties. This is a great program that teaches youth about ground SAR and exposes them to other SAR teams and specialty resources.
Mounted Search and Rescue is a dangerous activity. Although I realize there are exceptions, most youth do not have the experience or knowledge to work within their safety limits or parameters. Driving to a search during rainy conditions (with a heavy tow vehicle and a 1000 pound plus live load), deploying on a mounted task that pushes your comfort level or knowing that you are too tired to drive home are examples of when NOT to push you limits.

Tomi`
TROTSAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland

IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN wrote:

A recent court decision by the Federal Court of Claims in Philadelphia has
defined persons between 14 and 18 enrolled in PA's apprentice or junior
(16-18) firefighter programs to be public safety officers for purposes of
the PSODB laws. Our liability insurance covers juniors and we are working on
a SOG to further define their role in the organization.

Has this decision affected any other organization? Do you include minors or
exclude minors from membership? We don't have any yet but have received
several inquiries that we put off until the insurance company responded.

Irv Lichtenstein
SE PA SAR