msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Minors as members

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Minors as members
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:34:47 -0700 (PDT)

Civil Air Patrol (CAP) has a cadet program for teens 12-18 years of age.
After that, they are considered "senior" members. They participate in search
and rescue training, emergency services and many other aspects of our
training. Your question is a good one and I will forward it to my commander
for a more detailed answer or resources that may help. The cadets pay a
yearly membership fee that is half of what the seniors pay. This does put
them under the auxiliary Airforce insurance policy, I believe. 1st Lt. Dana
Snyder, CAP KS123, Gardner, KS

IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN <ilichten1@verizon.net> wrote: A recent court decision by
the Federal Court of Claims in Philadelphia has
defined persons between 14 and 18 enrolled in PA's apprentice or junior
(16-18) firefighter programs to be public safety officers for purposes of
the PSODB laws. Our liability insurance covers juniors and we are working on
a SOG to further define their role in the organization.

Has this decision affected any other organization? Do you include minors or
exclude minors from membership? We don't have any yet but have received
several inquiries that we put off until the insurance company responded.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR