msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Minors as members

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Sherry C. Hicks" <shicks@nwinc.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Minors as members
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:50:51 -0400

We have not yet activated our MSAR unit, but we do not allow minors to
respond without a parent. We have several "Junior Units" for our water
rescue division. We begin with small children and use them to teach water
safety classes in the local schools. Their training and responsibilities
increase as they get older. You must be over the age of 16 and accompanied
by a parent to respond to a call. A lot of water rescue calls involve
stranded boats that just need a tow so these calls are generally low risk.
Minors are never used in our dive operations, though they may train with the
dive team. They are not allowed to recover bodies or work in swift water.
They can go on flood calls when the water is not swift.

I think a junior program is wonderful. My husband goes on so many water
calls this time of year that we would not see him if we did not participate
in some way. My sons are 5 and 9, they love the Junior Unit. They get to
model the life vests and teach the other kids how to blow a distress signal
with their whistles when we do water safety classes. The purpose of our
water safety classes is to be proactive; we want to teach our children to be
safe now so we don't have to search for them later. IMO this is a great way
to work with children, almost like a scouting program.

When you talk about actual searching, you have to think about what you might
see and experience, the decisions you might have to make. I watched my first
person die when I was 36 because it was impossible to get everyone out of
the water at once. The water was too rough for me and there was nobody but
my husband and me. If I had tried to help I would have only added to the
problem. My husband pulled in two, but the last one went under before he
could get back out to him. It was the warm salt water of the Gulf in July.
He pulled him in but he was never revived. I still play it in my head and
wonder what I could have done different. I don't know any minor that is
ready to deal with that. I would be afraid that a minor would be traumatized
by finding the victim dead. Perhaps there are exceptions, but I would be
skeptical. JMO.

Sherry C. Hicks
Summation Certified Trainer
Sanction Certified User