msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 40, Issue 12

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 40, Issue 12
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:51:10 -0500

Hi Lyne

You asked - > When are you coming out to the west coast? I'll never be
advanced without attending one of your clinics!
A clinic is now currently in the planing stage for the west coast, if you
or others are interested please e mail me privately at wwfarm@wiktel.com.

You asked - Were "mounted handlers" working both a K-9 and a scent trained
horse?
Yes all the four dogs and the two horses were scent detection trained and
tested. Each rider/handler was watching two dogs and one horse.

You asked -If someone is working both at the same time, do the dog and horse
communicate and key off each other?
In this search I was told that they did not key off each other but I was
told that at certain times yes, each do key off each other.

I personally choose not to work my scent detection horses with my scent
detection dog because I like to read one animal at a time. Now that being
said, I can not argue with Ponderosa SAR's success. A year or more back,
which
was the last time I was in Northern Nebraska to give a clinic to this group,
witnessed them put on a very similar demonstration in front of several
different
law enforcement agencies and they had a complete success in that public
demonstration as well.

TER
Training Officer and Director for Marshall County Mounted Sheriff's Posse -
An 80 plus membership MSAR organization.
http://equinedetectionservices.com/clinics_&_training.htm