msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 40, Issue 12

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lyne Peterson <lyne@bryngyld.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 40, Issue 12
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

Terry,
When are you coming out to the west coast? I'll never be advanced without
attending one of your clinics!

One question on the dog and pony show (^_^)... from the exerpted part
below, I'm not at all clear on what the teams were. Were "mounted handlers"
working both a K-9 and a scent trained horse? If someone is working both at
the same time, do the dog and horse communicate and key off each other?

Lyne

As the mounted searchers used human reasoning power to guide their unique
combination search
teams through the assigned area, it was nothing less than spectacular to see
the well trained scent
detection search tools (dogs and horses), each doing their jobs. The K-9s
were able to get in to
every nook, cranny, and washout where the horse could not easily reach, and
the horses were
using their long necks as a scent detecting probes to catch each wisp of high
flying illusive scent
that came their way. The mounted handlers had "the best seat in the house" to
observe their
dogs' indications and to observe, feel and hear their horses indications.