msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SAR conference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SAR conference
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:17:21 EST

In a message dated 3/4/2006 7:56:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
maxson@pocketinet.com writes:

just find it difficult to believe that more MSAR units would not be
welcomed. Our unit took horses last year and it never distracted
anyone.Everyone was able to go to all their classes and it never entered
anyones mind that our horses were a burden.
All MSAR units are welcome and encouraged to attend, however there is
another event at the same time which will occupy part of the fairgrounds
parking
and camping space. In view of space restrictions, KCSARA had to limit horses
those which would be providing patrol and those needed for
demonstration/instruction.

The fairgrounds environment does not offer any interesting riding: it will
be packed with SAR members, tents for classes and lots of leashed/caged
search
dogs. The closest area for riding would require trailering, making it a
pain to move rigs in and out (due to conjested parking).

This conference will permit MSAR units to gather, get to know each other,
have a round table discussion of operations and issues and discuss setting
up a
few specialized trainings which would bring in MSAR units from other
counties.

Some ideas that have come from Una, Paul, Irv and others...We can plan
multi-unit MSAR trainings such as...
- air scent training (last year Peninsula brought in Terry Nowaki)
- mounted police academy instructors for urban search and desensitizing.
- hands on on instruction on removing/replacing shoes in the field,
taught & supervised by a farrier.
- set up sweep detection in both day and night search conditions

Many things are beyond the individual unit's financial reach, but together
we could put on some interesting training. The conference would be a great
place to get the ball rolling.

Barbara Sly
NWHSAR and KCSARA Conference Committee