msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SAR Conference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SAR Conference
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:41:45 EST

In a message dated 2/25/2006 7:48:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
una.smith@att.net writes:

One such training I want is to provide a horse with shoes on, for
students to remove under supervision from a farrier. Ie, simulate
common problems encountered in the field. Similarly, I want to
provide a horse that will stand calmly for novice leg wrappers,
and have students actually apply a polo wrap. This is something
more easily demonstrated than done by the student. Ditto apply an Easy Boot
or similar. Many New Mexico MSAR responders are very experienced and
skilled at these basic tasks; others have basic knowledge from seeing demos
and
reading books, but lack hands-on experience.
This hands on idea sounds very worthwhile. As you suggest, it should be
under supervision of a professional farrier. I would want to work on my own
horse so I would be accountable for any mistakes in nail placement.

Una - can you describe a sweep width experiment for mounted member
participation?

I'd like to bring your ideas, and any others that come in, to our membership
and to the conference organizers.

Barbara Sly
NWHSAR / WASAR2006.org committee