msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SAR Conference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SAR Conference
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:20:43 EST

Just responding to a couple of Una's comments...(and thank you, Una for
taking the time to address my questions).

The WA state SAR conference is held at a fairgrounds and we have a huge barn
with stalls - our members will be riding security at night, in pairs (we did
this in '99). We really haven't discussed having outside MSAR horses
attend, though if we were to have an instructor, I am sure their horse(s)
could be
accommodated.

I am not familiar with the scope of an ESCAPE or what DVM stands for - it's
not a term I recognize, however maybe it's in the new ICS 100 training that
everyone will have to take this year.

Una wrote: "Useful training in the past has included having DVMs discuss
with us the "envelope" of effective deployment. For example, how much water
do
horses need in a 24 hour period, and how often in that period do they need
drink?"

I am pretty sure our own members would feel they already have basic
knowledge of this type, and might feel this was trail riding 101 rather than
something that would stretch their skills.

But input and comments from experienced Mounted SAR managers (Una, Jorene,
Tomi, Chris and other regular posters) are sincerely appreciated. One of
the
things we might find of value would be desensitizing horses and training
them
for urban area searches. If anyone knows of an instructor with credentials
in that type of training, we'd like to see if they would be open to
conducting classes. This would bring in mounted SAR members from
neighboring counties
and be a plus for MSAR in WA.

Also, if anyone out there has done conference presentations & has an outline
of the course, that would help us determine what direction to take. For
instructors, our SAR Coordinator is looking for a bio, course synopsis and
outline.

thanks for any leads
Barbara Sly, NWHSAR