msar-riders - [MSAR] helmet suggestions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Patty Montoya" <riverrider@bak.rr.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] helmet suggestions
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:01:33 -0800

I have seriously thought of using a helmet, but my experience with a bicycle helmet was so bad about ten years ago, that I've never tried another one. I had to add little rubber pads to make it fit right. It was uncomfortable and slipped around on my head. I wore it twice and that was it!!
Does anyone have a suggestion of a helmet brand/type/etc.? Friends have suggested getting a helmet with ventilation, other friends have warned that branches can stick through the ventilation hole and knock you off the horse. (This almost happened to a friend of mine, but she was walking slow enough that she was able to back the horse up, take off the helmet, and unstick the branch.)
Thanks for any ideas,
Patty/CA