msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] intro--soundness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] intro--soundness
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:29:53 -0600

Lame how? Tired? Sore? Bowed? Do the same riders come
back again with the same result, or is there a teaching /
learning aspect involved? Such as, riders discover while
riding an orienteering course what their horse is capable
of, or not?

I am involved with New Mexico Orienteers, which so far is
into foot-O, not horse-O. Some of the most competitive
individuals do arrive at the finish scraped and bruised;
they pushed too hard, moved too fast for the terrain.
Many people who compete, including me, never run; we walk
and use navigating skills instead of speed. The club does
have a med check at the finish, but we do have a basic
first aid kit. I think orienteering runners are expected
to learn how to avoid getting hurt. I would expect horse-O
riders to learn how to avoid both horse and human injury.

Irv Lichtenstein wrote:
>Sanctioned rides (ECTRA, ATRA)around here require a vet check out at the end
>with an award for most fit.

Same here in New Mexico.

>Sounds like they don't like horses out there.

To me, it sounds like the normal learning curve of a new
orienteering group without benefit of members with long
experience and hard-earned wisdom.